Today was a non-sewing day for me. I have been thinking for a while now about setting my sewing machine up with a flatbed table, for years, actually, but now it has become serious for me. It's hard to believe I've been sewing for such a long time this way.
I've realized lately that if I'm to be doing my own quilting on my big quilts, I need to get this done. I don't know how I quilted anything before this. Actually I do know. I did all straight lines and no free-motion, which isn't how I want to quilt anymore. I thought I might be able to wait until the weather was nicer so I could do all the sawing outside the house, but I could not tolerate my setup a minute longer!
I was working yesterday on this red and denim quilt, doing some meandering hearts, stopped right in the middle, and went out to get supplies. I recently stumbled across Marta's blog, link here, with a really good tutorial on how to do this to an Ikea table. She has a great idea for getting the machine level with the top of the table using bolts and nuts, so I did that.
I had to make adjustments for my front loading bobbin, for the size of my base plate, and for my plug-in, but I did it pretty much the way she said. I did most of it myself, too, with only a little help from Mr. Sweet, and a lot of help from his tools which he loves getting out for any project! So I now have a flatbed, and can't wait to see what happens next on it.