Sunday 29 December 2013

Making Dragonflies

I've been working on a quilt for someone deeply associated with dragonflies. I've made a watery blue background, with green borders. Very nature influenced.

I've decided to work with a sheer gold fabric, that has a purple shimmer, to make the dragonfly itself. The challenge has been to work with the edges so they don't fray. I was trying different fusibles, to hold two layers together, then satin-stitch the edges. I plan to quilt in the wing lines for detail.

I'm not quite finished the big dragonfly, but the smaller ones seem to be going well. And I do like these nice mitred corners in the borders. This is the sneak peek stage. More will be revealed in due course. I only have a couple of weeks to finish this up, so I must get going on it!

Linking up this time with Design Wall Monday, here.

4 comments:

  1. Love your dragonfly applique! Those will be sweet with the little details you described!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sounding quite wonderful, Ilene! I love the blue green, nature-inspired palette that you have chosen. Can't wait to see the finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. anxiously awaiting the final reveal...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!