Thursday 20 September 2012

Quilt Guild Fun

Quilters Newsletter Magazine
April/May 2012 issue
What has the April/May 2012 issue of Quilters Newsletter Magazine have to do with my quilt guild?  Last night, our guest presenter was Kathy K. Wylie, from Whitby. She has been quilting for many years, and her most recent quilt, Flourish on the Vine, is the culmination of her work.

Kathy K. Wylie's
Flourish on the Vine, detail
I loved hearing her story, and seeing her quilts. It's easy to see the progression of her quilting style, seeing a lot of her quilts at once. And like myself and many other quilters, she began sewing at a young age, starting with clothing, and later turning to the creativity of quilts.

 I actually saw this spectacular quilt at the International Quilt Festival in Houston, Texas. I went back through my photos from that show to have another look. I saw so many quilts at that show, and reviewing my photos brings it all back.

So you can imagine my delight to realize this same quilt was made by our speaker.  It took Kathy two years to complete, and has wonderful details in the applique, machine quilting, and use of colour. Her story and how she developed this quilt are all in the magazine. You may check out her website through this link.  I saw last night all the quilts she has on her website.  What a treat.

The result of all this is that I am pumped about working on my own quilts. I was at my machine all afternoon today, working on one of my photo quilts. I am determined to get some of them finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!