Sunday 13 January 2013

After the Christmas Rush

I haven't posted for a while, and I know my sisters and friends are wondering . . . so here's an update! 

Like it always does, Christmas came and went very quickly. I was busy with work, family and friends, and a little bit of sewing. We love having all the lights and tree and decorations all around for those darkest days of the year. It's all so pretty and sparkle-y. A drive around the city to see the lights is a treat, too. We were even at an Orthodox Christmas party this past week. Our good friend has been very sick and in the hospital, so we've spent some time time there, too.

I have been still working on that Christmas quilt I started in November. The top went together very quickly, but after that, I got a little carried away with the quilting part of it. There is sure a lot of it. Can you see my stitches in the photo? Part of this was some practice for me, I did a lot of free-motion and thread-painting on it, and there is still a ways to go. I think to myself that I should be keeping this more simple, but it takes on a life of its own. Anyway, I like the way it's going, so I will keep plugging away at it.

I've also been working on some table runners that I started last year. On those, I did a lot of outline stitching and close stippling. This also felt like some practicing for my quilting, and I love adding these  around the house for Christmas. I was comparing the ones I'm working on this year to last year's ones, and I'm noticing a big difference in my quilting stitches. Last year, I did mostly straight lines, and a bit of stippling. I didn't know what else to do. This year, I've added to that some thread-painting, outline stitches, flowers, feathers, small bubbles, and other stitches. It may not be new to other people in the quilt world, but I am amazing myself all the time!  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, was wondering what Kitchener Quilter was up to so thanks for posting.
    Gramma Lana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!