Friday 1 February 2013

The Collection of Winifred Shantz

In the dearth of quilt shows around these parts lately, I ventured out to the Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery in Waterloo. On display was the Collection of Winifred Shantz.  This was a very interesting collection of ceramic items from Canadian and international artists.

Doll by Kasia Piech
Bird Teapots
Maker unknown












Winifred Shantz was herself a potter and a wide-ranging patron of the arts in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and donated these 39 items to the permanent collection at the Canadian Clay & Glass Gallery.  I enjoy seeing art in any form, and this collection was no exception.  

These photos are some of the items I particularly enjoyed. 
Cow and Calf by
Joe Fafard
Vases by Winefred Shantz












I also toured through the gallery shop, and I saw a lot of other intriguing and beautiful glass and clay pieces.  I especially loved the glass works of Jerre Davidson of Alma, On, and Gary Wilkinson of Nottawa, On, see below.  Who wouldn't find art of this caliber an inspiration!?  That's what I thought.

Stained Glass by
Gary Wilkinson
Nottawa, Ontario
Fused Glass by
Gerre Davidson of Alma, Ontario





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!