I finished the embroidery on my October Rose, and have a HUGE distortion situation which is not pretty. Maybe it looks really bad to me because I've been looking at it so much, but I'm not happy with it. Two rounds of blocking have not made it behave, either. I started quilting the background, but I've stopped because I'm considering cutting out the rose part into an applique. I know if I leave it the way it is, I will never be happy with it, so I might as well fix it up the best way I can. I really like the way the stitching turned out, though, so it's probably worth saving whatever way I can.
The difference on this piece is the use of polyester threads. I've never been one for polyester anything, preferring instead natural fibers, but I branched out here to get a wider variety of thread colours, and I am now looking at much more distortion. I did not know this when I bought the poly threads, but it's been a hard lesson. I'll also be continuing to try different stabilizers.
Maybe I should go shopping right now, to see if I can find the right green for a background. I looked at all my greens on hand, but none of them thrill me. What to do, what to do. That's one dilemma.
The other dilemma is on this quilt. I've started FMQing hearts into the large print areas, which is ok, but I'm realizing how much time it takes, and there are other things I want to work on, too. Each of these 20 blocks takes about 1/2 hour to do, and there just aren't enough hours in the day. I haven't decided what I will quilt into the blue segments, but I'm thinking something simple might be better if I want to finish this within my lifetime!
I like to keep going on something when I have my machine set up and get a rhythm going, but maybe I'll be setting this aside for a bit. I'm also getting the binding on my R&D quilt, so I'll get back at it. Linking up with WIP over at the Needle and Thread Network, here.