|Magnolia Quilt, back detail|
That medallion is 68" across, and there is A LOT of handsewing ahead, around both circles, and to join up some of the petals. I wasn't sure all those petals would align flat when I laid them down. There are a lot of seams, all of them on angles, with long seams. This struck me as having great potential for inaccuracy, so I built in strategies just in case. Good thing, too. I made each section in half, and ended up cutting the outer ring into quarters. If you ever do this pattern this big, I see now that the best way to be accurate would be to mark the background fabric, and stitch your petals along those lines right to the backing. Would save you a lot of grief!
The whole thing was a little too big, so I cut the outside ring into quarters, and moved it in towards the centre. I do like the way it is going, though, and I think when I get borders and corner fans on, it will be fantastic. I wanted to get the front laid out outside today, too, but the thunderstorms were moving in, so I'll resume tomorrow.
Linking up with Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday blog, here. Have a look at what other great quilty people are doing.