Sunday 14 July 2013

A Bit of Fun

Fire Tower
Temagami, Ontario
I have been out and about some lately. This takes my mind off quilting, which is ok. After finishing up The Magnolia Quilt, I feel a bit lost. I'm not sure what to work on next, or if I would like to start something new, so I have been glad to get out and see a bit of scenery. I'll post a few pics of where I've been. All in Ontario, but you know how I love the Ontario scenery.

View from the fire tower, Temagami
A couple of weeks ago, we went up past North Bay to visit family, and took a side trip to Temagami, where I've been wanting to go. It was slated for clear-cutting, but was saved from the saws. Good thing, too, it is so beautiful and pristine there. Unspoiled, as they say.

Beautiful old-growth pine trees, and clear, clean lakes. We climbed all the way up to the top of the fire tower, and had a great view of the town and surrounding lakes, even if it was a bit rainy that day.

Butterfly in Temagami, Ontario
The Quilting Barn
New Liskeard, Ontario

I saw this little creature, only 1/2" across. Wouldn't he make a great art quilt? Then we drove into the happening town of New Liskeard, and managed to find The Quilting Barn. Very interesting quilt store.
Little Tub Harbour
Tobermory, Ontario

And on the agenda just this weekend, was travelling up to Tobermory. The Bruce Peninsula is a favourite spot for me, and I was not disappointed. It was a bit too bright and sunny for stunning photos, but I captured a few anyway.  I wanted to swim in the harbour at Tobermory, but it was c-c-c-cold. The water is so clear, you can see very far down, but it was too cold even for me. It doesn't warm up until the end of August, so I might go back then.



The Beach at Oliphant, Ontario
Butterfly near Indian Falls, Ontario
Next is on the beach at Oliphant, on Lake Huron. I was on this beach in 2000 with two of my sisters, and we could walk about a mile out into the water, and only get our knees wet. Well, the water level has dropped in the great lakes about 2 feet, and that island is no longer an island. As you can see, people are driving their cars out onto the sand beach. Fun in its own way, but not the swimming experience I was looking for.

So now I'm back home, doing laundry, and contemplating my next move.

ed. update:  KaHolly sent me an email about that little orange butterfly I saw in Temagami. She said it was a skipper, and upon googling for more info, I found this link  claiming it to be a Small Skipper. Interesting.

2 comments:

  1. The little half inch butterfly is a skipper, but it's difficult to tell from the picture which one. If you google skippers, you'll see a beautiful assortment all within that same color range. (Not all skippers are these colors).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your photos but especially the butterfly.
    Grandma Lana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!