Wednesday 28 August 2013

What to Quilt Where

I've been away from quilting for a bit, being busy at work. I started a new assignment last week, and I've been too tired to sew!  Today I felt like getting back at it, so I did a bunch more quilting on this Denim with Hearts quilt. Until my helper friend showed up, that is. He came by to see what I was doing just as I was starting to take pictures, so he's in there, too.

The end is in sight for this quilt, and it just needs a few more lines to finish it up.  Interestingly enough, I was halfway across on these inside squares before I figured out how to shape the hearts nicely by freemotion. Rats. I'm not worried about it too much, though, since this is one of the "practice" quilts I had decided to work on a few months back.

I recently purchased Melody Crust's book, A Fine Line, see her link here. I really like her work.  She writes in this book about what to quilt where.  It has been very helpful for me, since this is one of my challenge areas.  One of her points is to mix straight lines with curvy lines, in contrast to the pattern of your piecing or applique, to create a nice balance.  It seems I was on the right track with this quilt, but decided to add a few more straight lines to give it a more finished look.

Linking up with The Needle and Thread Network, here,  Off the Wall Friday, here, FMQ Friday, here, and Patchwork Times, here.

4 comments:

  1. Love to see the kitties on your quilts. They're great helpers! Love your header too! I'm partial to plaids and stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Denim Hearts quilt is a beauty -- love the strong, contrasting colours and the mix of the linear plaids with those curvy hearts. Oh -- and the 'white cat accent' is the perfect touch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming - the quilt and the salt and pepper helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to do a denim quilt. And thanks for the book recommendation--It looks like it would be extremely helpful.

    Thank you for your compliment and your feedback on my blog. I really need to pay attention to starting in the middle and working my way out and basting it better. I will chalk this one up to experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!