Tuesday 21 January 2014

MUST QUILT

5% Red
by Ilene Atkins
I've had this big neon sign flashing inside my head for some time now, saying MUST QUILT. So that's what I've been doing. It does beg the question, why must I quilt?  I've always loved sewing, sewing anything, really. But why quilting, why now?

I was recently making the Dragonfly Quilt, here, and had some insight. After my presentation last week to my quilt guild, here, I heard those voices inside my head that say I'm not good enough, and Who do I think I am?  You know those voices!  But getting feedback on my quilts has been so positive.  This disconnect between the outside world and my inside world just didn't make sense to me.

5% Red, detail
by Ilene Atkins
So today I was emailing my friend about the dragonfly quilt, and I came to the realization that when I'm making my quilts, they are the visual representation of the essence of who I am. It is the deepest part of me coming out for the world to see. Any worries or troubles or discontent in my life become inconsequential.

The quilt I'm showing today is a finish from last fall, and I didn't get it photographed until recently. I think I pieced it the year before, and got it quilted in last years finishing frenzy. I've called it 5% red, since it has so little red. I think now I could have put in more red, but this is the way it turned out, so I'm leaving it at that. And I just quilted it with wavy lines. It's been added to my growing stack of finished quilts.

Linking up this time to The Needle and Thread Network, here, and Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday, here.

4 comments:

  1. I love your artist attitude Ilene, and giving your quilts names. I love the colours of this quilt and I think that the red is just enough to bring out the other muted colours. Pye says hi to Tigger...Pye has been helping me too. I still think that they are related!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the bit of red is very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely! I agree, it can be difficult to put work out there for people to see since it is such an extension of yourself.

    I'm so emotionally attached to my bowser quilt that I nearly teared up a bit when I laid it out the other day and could actually SEE bowser. Not a single point matches on that quilt and I dont care one bit. He's such an extension of me that he comes with some wonkiness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we sit alone at our sewing machines all we see, and think about, are real or perceived flaws in our work. Even other quilters are rarely as critical as we are. So getting out and showing your fantastic work is the best thing you can do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!